It is important to avoid electrical accidents or injuries in the home since they can potentially be fatal. Such incidents are very dangerous, which is why homeowners need to make sure their homes are free from any hazards. Having knowledge about some common hazards can limit electrical accidents.
However, a lot of people aren’t aware of basic electrical knowledge, which is why the probability of electrical accidents often increases. Electrical services in North Charleston, SC, suggest some methods that you can use to avoid common electrical hazards to protect your family and friends from electrical dangers.
Old Wiring Needs Upgrades
Aluminum wiring was common in older homes but this type of wiring is actually outdated. It isn’t used anymore since it can result in fires after malfunctioning. Wiring upgrades through electrical services in North Charleston, SC, are necessary for homes that haven’t been updated in over 30 years. It is a good idea to invest in new types of wiring to ensure that your home is up to standard and out of danger.
There are some signs that you can look out for which can show you if your house has outdated wiring. One of the most common occurrences that point towards outdated wiring is if your outbreak trips frequently. Other signs can include lights in your home that flicker or dim when you use appliances, fuses blow up frequently, or the switchboards in your home discolor, give shocks, or feel warm.
If you are experiencing any of these things in your home then it is important that you give your home an electrical upgrade. Experts of electrical services in North Charleston, SC, can help you by inspecting the wiring in your home. If there is a serious need for changes, they can recommend a great option for you within your budget.
Water and Electricity Can’t Mix
Every appliance in your home needs to stay completely dry. When components of appliances get wet, it can be dire to the safety of the family members in the home. Experts in electrical services in North Charleston, SC, recommend that any outdoor sockets need to be kept covered when not in use. Electrical tools should not be used in wet environments and any other equipment and cables that you own need to be kept away from water at all costs.
If any electrical machine or appliance ends up getting wet while it is plugged in, it is actually vital that you don’t unplug it at once. While wet the appliance can actually shock you or cause burns. It is actually better to switch off the main power source before you attempt to remove the appliance from the socket.
If it has gotten really wet, it is actually vital that you call electrical services in North Charleston, SC, to inspect your device. Professionals can actually show you whether the appliance can be used safely, needs minor repairs, or needs replacement.
In case it needs repairs, they can also fix the device in the most efficient way possible as well. Attempting to deal with a malfunctioning appliance is actually dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. It may even result in damage to the device, which can even create replacement costs for you. Every appliance behaves different and needs different equipment and techniques to deal with. If you don’t have the expert knowledge on the machines, then there is no need to make things worse by trying to fix it yourself.
Don’t Overload Extension Cords
The extension cord is one of the most helpful tools within the home. However, it can often be mishandled, which can be quite hazardous. When people overload the extension cord with heavy duty items, it causes the device to heat up. This can result in short circuits or fires, which can cause a lot of harm to the house.
Extension cords have a certain capacity at which they work at. It is important to make sure that you don’t force it to exceed the limits or else it can lead to major malfunctions. If you need more outlets in your home, it is actually better to contact electrical services in North Charleston, SC. They can install more switches for you so that you have plenty of outlets in the home to use.
However, use an expert like Mister Sparky. They will make sure that the power boards and points in your home are overloaded as well. This can decrease the risk of short circuits in your home.
Avoid Modifying Plugs At All Costs
Old homes don’t have three prong grounded plugs installed in them, which are used often now. They usually have outdated two-prong sockets, which don’t allow ground pins. If you have such outdated sockets then do no attempt to modify the electrical plugs at all.
There are many DIY videos that people often refer to which show you how to alter plugs by removing ground pins, using pliers to bend the plug, or filing the blades to fit the sockets. However, trying to attempt any of these methods isn’t a good idea since these methods aren’t safe. Such tutorials can actually increase the chances of fires and even shock or burn you.
If you have outdated sockets that don’t support your plugs then it is better to call electrical services in North Charleston, SC. They can change all the sockets for you at an affordable price.
Protect Children by Covering Electric Outlets
Children can become quite curious about things around them and may try to insert their fingers or an object into the electrical outlets. Open sockets like that can actually increase the risk of harm to children since they may accidentally shock or burn themselves.
It is important to baby proof such outlets by calling electrical services in North Charleston, SC. There are child safety wall plates that automatically close when the outlet isn’t in use. There are also items like plug protectors that you get at affordable rates. Calling for electrical services in North Charleston, SC,can save you a lot of money in the long run. It is better to take steps to make your home safer from electrical hazards.