South Carolina is blessed with beautiful historic homes. There are numerous reasons why they are so popular. Historic homes were well built, and the luxurious amenities can only be duplicated at extreme cost, if at all. No finer molding, hardwood floors, plaster work or construction can be duplicated in modern homes. Of course, for many who buy them, the history is priceless and irreplaceable. Unfortunately, they also require ongoing upkeep, and one of the gravest dangers to historic homes, is the electrical system. If your historic home needs upgrading, contact Mister Sparky electricians for electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC.
As hard as it is for the younger generation to believe, electricity was not available until the 1930’s in many areas. Even harder to believe is the fact that many of these beautiful homes still contain and use the original knob and tube wiring.
On one hand, the fact the original electrical system still serves a number of the homes speaks well of the electricians who wired them. Unfortunately, superior craftsmanship can stop the effects of time. Knob and tube wiring lacks a ground, leaving occupants at risk of shock or electrocution. Time also has a detrimental effect on the wire causing deterioration and resulting in loose connections which can result in fire, or shock.
There is no doubt when it comes to historic homes, safety is the first consideration. Mister Sparky electricians in Mt. Pleasant can provide the replacement of dangerous, outdated wiring in your home with electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Prospective buyers and those who have just purchased a beautiful piece of history should never assume the electrical system is up to code. The electrical system may possess hidden hazards, not readily recognizable to the lay person. A Mister Sparky electrician can inspect your home’s electrical system, and provide you with a professional recommendation and the electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC that you need.
Furthermore, even if the wiring is in good shape, or even received an upgrade in previous decades; it is probable that the electrical system is not capable of carrying the high electrical demands of today’s household. Today’s large number of electronics, appliances and electrical items were not part of the typical household even 30 years ago. Mister Sparky electricians can provide both the upgrades and the electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant that you need.
When you are in the market for a historic home, it is wise to hire a licensed electrician to provide an electrical inspection on the home you choose, prior to your purchase. If you are aware of electrical hazards and an outdated electrical system before the papers are signed, you can negotiate new wiring installation, or a discount from the home’s final cost. Mister Sparky electricians can provide the electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC that your home requires.
In addition, the replacement of outdated wiring may be required, in order to qualify your dream home to qualify for homeowner’s insurance.
Hiring a licensed electrician to replace outdated electrical systems will enable the home to meet modern code and specifications. Consequently, the value of your home is likely to increase.
Signs the Electrical System Requires Updating
Frayed wire, faulty connections, deteriorated wire insulation and other electrical system problems may not be visible when you are shown houses. If you have purchased a home and are having electrical problems, give our electricians a call. Mister Sparky electricians will provide you with reliable electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant and the surrounding areas.
The following are potential signs of an outdated electrical system. If you are experiencing any of them, contact Mister Sparky to schedule an electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC:
- Flickering lights not related to loose or faulty light bulbs
- An insufficient number of outlets for your needs
- A lack of ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) outlets in bathrooms, kitchens and other locations where contact with water is possible
- Signs of outlets or switches overheating, such as scorch marks, melting and/or outlets and switches that do not work
- The odor of hot copper or burning wire insulation indicates a serious condition and the need for the prompt services of an electrician to provide electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant, SC
- Fuse boxes, rather than a breaker box with circuit breakers are the sign of an outdated electrical system
- Frequently blown light bulbs
The Reason Breakers Trip
Today’s household has a higher need for electricity than when older homes were built. In historic homes, the electrical circuits were not designed for modern needs and are often overloaded, resulting in frequent ‘tripped breakers’ or a blown fuse.
When you find yourself using a lot of extension cords and power strips to a single outlet, your electrical system is overloaded and insufficient. Along with the other signs previously noted, relying on extension cords consistently indicates the electrical system requires upgrading before disaster strikes. Our licensed, professional electricians can provide your home with the electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant it requires.
Mister Sparky electricians in Mt. Pleasant have the expertise you require to ensure quality electrical inspection, installation and electrical repair in Mt. Pleasant for your home. You can rely on our electricians to provide a professional quality of services that meets and/or exceed the industry standards. We guarantee your satisfaction, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating. Mister Sparky serves Charleston, Mt. Pleasant and the surrounding areas.