Major storms can cause extended power outages for Charleston and Mount Pleasant, SC residents. Planning ahead for these emergencies is essential to protect yourself financially and to ensure that you can ride out storms and their aftermath in relative comfort. A whole-home generator is a solid investment for families in our area and can provide added security, comfort and protection for your property when power outages occur.
Put Safety First
The U.S. Department of Energy offers helpful guidance on proper installation and operation of generators:
- Generators should be placed outside of buildings and away from walls and structures to ensure optimal ventilation. They should be protected against rain and inclement weather with an open canopy or another protective shelter.
- Avoid operating generators near open windows that could allow carbon monoxide to enter your South Carolina home.
- Disconnect your regular power source before operating your generator. In some cases, your electrician may have installed an automatic transfer switch that will perform the disconnection and reconnection process automatically.
Following the instructions that come with your new generator and that are often provided by your installation company will keep you and your family safer throughout the process.
Make Sure You Plan for Enough Power
The experts at Consumer Reports have created a list of the amount of power drawn by a range of appliances, fixtures and technological devices in your home.
- Lights can consume 60 to 600 watts depending on the time of day and the requirements of your family.
- A window air conditioner can draw up to 1,000 watts of energy at a given time. Portable heaters may require as much as 1,500 watts to operate.
- Refrigerators typically need 600 watts to keep food cold.
- Computers use 60 to 300 watts of electricity during operation.
Your electrical contractor will provide the right guidance to ensure that your whole-home generator will have adequate power for your needs.
Enlist the Help of a Qualified Electrician
Hiring a qualified electrical contractor is the best way to get the generator you need and to ensure that it is installed correctly. Working with a company with a proven reputation for quality is essential to obtain the best possible results.
At Mister Sparky, our electricians can provide you with the right solutions for repairs, replacement, and upgrades of your electrical systems in Charleston and the surrounding areas. Whatever your electrical needs, we can provide proven solutions for you and your family. To learn more about our full lineup of generators and related services, call us today. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to serve you.